I was looking to make more room on my phone’s home screen, and I realized that
my use of App.net had dwindled more than enough to remove it. I never
post any more, but there are a couple of people I would still like to follow
that don’t cross post to Twitter.
App.net has RSS feeds for every user, but they include both posts and replies.
I only want to see posts. So I brushed off my primitive XSLT skills.
I wrote an XSLT program to delete RSS items that begin with @. While I was at
it, I replaced each title with the user’s name, since the text of the post is
also available in the description tag.
Here is the transformation that would filter my posts, if I had any:
Now I can use xsltproc to filter the RSS.
In order to fill in the username automatically, I wrapped the XSLT program in a
shell script that also invokes curl.